The most important aspects of your E-Commerce site that will drive sales will
result from engagement, perception of your site and products. This is based on keeping your
site fast, easy to navigate, low on operational costs, good user recall and high on user experience.
It is a common misconception that all these are only related to the look of your website .. so
think again before you exhaust yourself focusing on the design of your site.
Pushing products can have a negative impact if the other aspects are not tailored to.
Furthermore if you increase traffic to a site with poor conversion then you are actually
doing more damage than good. Read more tips here. Some of the points I can sum up are:
- Gain the visitors trust: Clear policies, HTTPS, Verisign (optional), Icons of Payment logos and options, Only proceed when user accepts T&C and do not force anything.
- Cross Sell products: Use your own site to effectively cross sell NEW, SALE and seasonal popular items
- Landing Pages: Ability to create specific marketing campaigns and target users who maybe interested in a particular campaign.
- Search: Powerful multi parameter search. You may want to search by words, colors, price etc. Ensure the Search actually works or it can work against you.
- Highlight SALE & NEW ARRIVALS: For fashion sites this works really well. Most online visitors are looking for what's new and anything on SALE.
- Sell beyond your website: Google Merchant Account, Facebook
- Product Photography: Ensure you have clear shots of the product without background noise or shades. You must also have multiple perspectives of the same product shot.